- Cops in London are apparently shitting bricks since anarchists announced they would hold a massive party in Trafalgar Square to celebrate the death of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, who died this week. Authorities are promising the biggest security operation since the 2012 Olympics for Thatcher’s funeral procession.
- The Peak, an anarchist publication out of Guelph, Ontario just dropped their latest edition, examining the large energy infrastructure projects being built around Canada.
- Two Portland city commissioners release suggestions for reigning in overtime pay for the Portland Police Bureau. Portland cops budgeted $7.8 million for overtime this fiscal year, but as of February had spent $5.8 million. More than 300 PPB employees made $100,000 in the 2011-2012 fiscal year.
- A report obtained by The Guardian shows that Egypt’s military was complicit in torture, killings and disappearances during the 2011 revolution.
- Hunger strikes at the indefinite detention camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba continue, as lawyers for the detainees give accounts of force-feeding and isolation being used to quell the protests.
- Canadian authorities forcibly evict First Nations protesters at gunpoint from the Burns Lake tribal band office, in British Columbia. Burns Lake band members had occupied their band office for two weeks to protest leadership.
- New findings are released linking imported rice to high levels of lead. Add to that the already-documented prevalence of arsenic in rice.
- A severe thunderstorm hit Mayflower, Ar. yesterday, stirring around spilled tar sands oil, and causing ExxonMobil to pump oil-contaminated storm surge into a nearby lake.
- Dinosaur embryos found. What to make of this?