- Yesterday, in the wake of the scandal which erupted when Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald revealed that the NSA was obtaining information on every single Verizon Business account in the US, a story also broke of massive collusion between Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, Skype and other major tech corporations and the NSA, giving the agency free rein of user data in a program known as PRISM.
- In response to the revelation of the PRISM program, Anonymous obtained and published NSA documents pertaining to NSA spying programs.
- Another Anonymous hacker who has been revealed as the person who brought national attention to the Steubenville rape case, publishing disturbing and incriminating images that may have forced prosecutors’ hands and stemmed the tide of a town-wide cover-up, faces 10 years in prison on various hacking charges.
- A local press account describes Istanbul’s occupied Taksim Gezi Park as a hierarchy-free “utopic freetown,” since police withdrew on June 1.
- A federal investigation has revealed rampant pay abuses in Pacific Northwest restaurants.
- A new poster has been released in support of Seattle grand jury resister Steve, who fled the Pacific Northwest after being served with a subpoena to testify for the grand jury which has imprisoned four anarchists.
- A 19-year-old student who was beaten in a fight with a gang of neo-Nazis in Paris on Wednesday has died from his injuries.
- Raptors in the Portland area are increasingly suffering from lead poisoning, believed to bioaccumulate from lead present in the prey animals they eat, which are contaminated from lead in the environment.
- The Obama administration, on a serious fucking roll, has de-listed wolves from Endangered Species protected status, meaning shitheads in Colorado, Utah and other cattle-friendly states can hunt them right back to extirpation.